Friday, June 1, 2012

7 X 7 Award

Recently I was pleasantly surprised to find that Watch Classics received a 7 X 7 Link Award, thanks to one of my favorite bloggers, Caftan Woman. I encourage anyone to add her site to your blog list if you enjoy commentary on classic film and television. Anyway, I understand that the award comes with a few responsibilities. In addition to thanking the giver, which I gladly do here, I am to share seven random thoughts about myself. Here goes:

  • The oatmeal raisin cookie is the king of cookie deliciousness.
  • Plant perennials. Their beauty exceeds temporary annuals as you get to watch them grow and bloom every year, and you get great pride in saying to yourself: "I planted that."
  • Westies are the most sociable dog. Maybe the cutest too.
  • If stranded on a desert island with just one movie, I'd take The Third Man.
  • Into my sixth decade, my patience gets longer each year and my hair shorter. It's all there though!
  • I miss John Wayne, William Holden, and Steve McQueen.
  • Deborah Kerr and Rita Hayworth looked great as blonds.

  • And one more for good measure:

  • A book that is surprisingly excellent: Bram Stoker's Dracula.

The 3rd responsibility requires me to suggest seven of my posts in various categories. I'm not wild about the categories and not sure my reviews really fit the format, but I'll do my best:

  • Most Beautiful Piece:  My thoughts on Deborah Kerr, whose beauty and grace always reminds me of why I love classic films.  
  • Most Helpful: I love film noir. Here's a piece I did about this great American art form. 
  • Most Popular: Based on the number page views, it's apparently my review of The Planet of the Apes series. The first and fourth are my favorites. Skip the last one. It's an abomination.
  • Most Controversial: Hmmm. I'll go with one featuring the great Setsuko Hara. A lot of folks know about the Noriko Trilogy, but few have likely seen No Regrets for Our Youth. As usual, she's terrific in an very interesting film.  
  • Most Surprisingly Successful:  Johnny Guitar.
  • Most Underrated: I take this to mean the film, not my review. Moby Dick. It's a great film and reminds me of my dad, a career Navy man who loved the book. 
  • Most Pride Worthy: Hitchcock needs to be on here somewhere. Vertigo.

The 4th responsibility is to nominate seven other bloggers and notify them.  My Blog List includes several blogs that I routinely follow. Like Caftan Woman, they are interesting and terrifically written by other fans who love old films. Today I happily will pass along the 7 X 7 Link Award to these folks. I trust they'll accept in the spirit intended, and follow-up as they choose.

Happy reading, all. Thanks again, Wyatt.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, thank you for thinking of me with this award. It's always nice when other classic movie fans think enough of your blog to want to recommend it to others through these awards. That said, though, I will not be passing the award on because I just did it in March. In case you'd care to read it, here is the link to that post.

    http://classicmoviesnippets.blogspot.com/2012/03/7-x-7-award-thanks-irene.html

    Next of all, my husband would be in total agreement with you about the oatmeal raisin cookie. He thinks they are the best thing on the planet. In fact, he feels that raisins are a great addition to anything.

    Also, I miss William Holden...and Robert Ryan Cooper...and John Garfield...and Gary Cooper...and James Cagney. You get the idea! I'm in love with those guys, and no one nowadays can even come close to touching them in my mind.

    I am going to go back and read the posts you have linked to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A recent re-watch of "Moby Dick" has me joining its fans. The movie is as good as your article.

    I'm glad to see you had fun with the 7X7 and its reflective aspect.

    I love the internet! It leads us to so many interesting writers we wouldn't know of otherwise.

    ReplyDelete